Monday, June 2, 2014

Upside Down Pizza Casserole

I posted this years ago, but it’s another one I want to reshare with updates and better pictures. I first found a similar recipe to this forever ago in an ancient Better Homes and Garden magazine. I made a few changes and this is now a stable in our house.


I vividly remember the first time I made this dish. It was the night we brought our cat, Aldo, home. I had been stalking this lady on Craigslist trying to get her cat. Apparently she could tell I was a nutjob and stopped responding to my e-mails. I finally had to sik Chad on her. Apparently she could tell he was a normal guy and sent him an e-mail while I was cooking dinner that the cat was his if he wanted her still. I was so excited that instead of waiting for dinner to cool, I took a huge bite and scalded my entire mouth. Not fun. On the way to pick up the cat, I started panicking because she knew the “crazy cat lady’s” name was Jessica and I needed to come up with a fake name stat. I decided on Nikki in honor of my bff. Everything went great and we brought Aldo (then known as Smokey) home. A couple days later I sent the Craigslist lady a thank you card signed Nikki and Chad. I’m willing to bet she installed a security system on her house shortly after. I may or may not have come across as a little crazy when I told her “our new cat really brings us joy and we have you to thank for that”. Oh and it took a few days before I could even taste food again.

Anyway, back to the recipe. This dish is super easy to make, but does take awhile to cook the ground chuck and then bake the casserole afterwards. I like to cook the beef and onions the night before whenever possible and have everything else chopped and ready to go. Also, I have put together the casserole the night before and it cooked just fine, but if you do this make sure you do not add the biscuits until you’re ready to throw it in the oven. You may need to add some baking time too unless you let it sit at room temperature for about 20 min before baking.

Ingredients:
1-1 ½ pound ground chuck
1 onion, small diced
½ of a bell pepper, small diced
2 tablespoons bacon bits
1/8 cup of diced pepperoni
15 oz can of tomato or pizza sauce (I also use leftover red pasta sauce if I have on hand)
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
Small tube of refrigerated buttermilk biscuits

Preheat oven to 400. Grease 9x9 baking dish.

Cook ground beef with the onion until no longer pink, drain grease.

Transfer the beef and onions to a mixing bowl and add the bell pepper, bacon, pepperoni and sauce.

Pour into the baking dish and level out the best you can.

Top with the shredded mozzarella

Flatten biscuits with your hands and place on top of the cheese.


Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes. You’ll be able to tell it’s done with the biscuits are nice and brown and the cheese is melted.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment