Monday, May 12, 2014

Mexican Chicken Lasagna {{ & My Homemade Enchilada Sauce }}

I recently went to a Pampered Chef party that my good friend Katy hosted (Hi Katy!). The dish featured was Mexican lasagna. At Pampered Chef parties there is usually a dish made while you’re there using all Pampered Chef equipment. Now I do love me some Pampered Chef, but I don’t own very much of it. The Mexican lasagna was made in the microwave using a covered baker. It was actually quite amazing and I was looking to figure out a way to copy the dish in the oven. Well last week I made some homemade enchilada sauce with this dish in mind. I knew the sauce would keep for about two weeks so I just threw it in the fridge and forgot about it. After work one day last week I realized that I had nothing planned for our dinner so decided to throw the lasagna together using what I had on hand. It tasted great, got several compliments from Chad and was easy. Win, win, win. The pictures don't do this dish justice by any means!!!


What I used:
8 corn tortillas
1 recipe homemade enchilada sauce or 2 cans enchilada sauce(see below for my recipe)
I can diced tomatoes with green chilies
8 oz cream cheese, extremely softened (microwave for 15 seconds if necessary.
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used cheddar)
4 cups chicken, diced or shredded (I happened to have a bag of frozen grilled chicken strips in the freezer which I typically don’t have, but it made for an easy shortcut once thawed)
A handful of chopped cilantro
Whatever you want to use for garnishing… I just used sour cream and served it with homemade guacamole and some chips)

First preheat the oven to 375

Then using a 13x9 casserole dish you take 4 tortillas and dredge both sides in the enchilada sauce. This is your bottom layer. Feel free to overlap if necessary.

Top the first layer of corn tortillas with half of the cream cheese (dollop and spread across the tortillas), 2 cups chicken, ½ can diced tomatoes and green chilies, 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, half of the cilantro.

Repeat the layer once.

Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Serve using a spatula and garnish as you wish.





Looks healthy, right?

Note: Next time I will add a diced onion to the mix.


*** My homemade enchilada sauce

What you need:
2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
2-3 tablespoons flour (depends on how thick you want the sauce)
4 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½  teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon oregano
2 cups chicken stock

Heat oil in small saucepan over med-high heat. Add flour and stir together over heat for one minute. Stir in the seasonings and then gradually add the chicken stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick.

Use immediately or store, covered, in the fridge for 2 weeks or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment