Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Eggplant Parmesan Panini {{ or Grilled Cheese }}


Eggplant Parmesan is one of my all time favorite dishes. I went on a bit of a kick with it in 2010. At first Chad loved it, but he got so burnt out that I haven't gotten him to eat it in years! A couple weeks ago Chad and Trace were unexpectedly gone for the evening and I was on my own for dinner. As soon as Chad told me they weren't going to be home I started racking my brain trying to figure out what to make for dinner on my nice relaxing night alone. Eggplant Parmesan it was! I just didn't want to go through the hassle of making such a big dish that only I would eat. Then I decided to try making an eggplant Parmesan panini. This was so freaking good. I plan on making this for dinner any night that Chad is going to be out. 

What you need:
1 bun (I used an onion poppy seed bun for this one)
1 teaspoon of margarine
2 slices of fresh mozzarella
4 slices of fried eggplant (I breaded mine in breadcrumbs and fried in olive oil until crispy and browned)
3 tablespoons of red pasta sauce (I used caramelized onion with roasted garlic)
1 tablespoon of shredded provel (or mozzarella)

Step 1) Preheat skillet or panini press. Spread butter on parts of bun you want toasted.

Step 2) If making a panini lay bottom bun down and sprinkle with shredded provel (or mozzarella). Top with eggplant slices then red sauce and then the sliced fresh mozzarella. 
If making a grilled cheese you will want to sprinkle bottom bun with shredded provel (or mozzarella) and top with eggplant slices. Then lay the top bun down on the skillet separately and top with the sliced mozzarella.


Step 3) If making a panini top with top bun and cook until crispy. About 7 minutes for this one on my panini press. If making a grilled cheese this sandwich will be way too thick to flip like a normal grilled cheese so you will want to cook open faced and then combine before serving.



Step 4) Enjoy!!






No comments:

Post a Comment