Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Thrifted High Chair is Finished.... FINALLY!!!!! and other happenings...


Remember this????? 

 Well now it looks like this!!!



I'm pretty much in love with it. It seemed like it took forever to finish. And there were quite a few set backs. We don't have a covered spot at our apartment to work on projects like this. So I had to wake up pretty early to work on it for awhile and give it enough time to dry before moving it inside while I went to work. Not to mention I live in the Mid West and its super humid out the majority of summer. On really hot and humid days I couldn't do any work at all. First I sanded it down to get rid of any imperfections in the wood and to get the glossy finish off. Then I painted the majority of it (while wearing a fumes mask so the baby didn't get harmed). For some reason the paint wasn't drying after a few days so I had Chad take a look at it. Turns out I didn't sand it good enough. He said it needed to be primed before I could paint. And primer is too toxic for me to breathe in even with the fumes mask so I had to wait for Chad to do it. That took a few days! Not to mention time for it to dry and then he had to put a 2nd and 3rd coat on it. Then it was too humid to do any work for a few days. I finally got to start painting again. So the thing was finally painted and I started to go over it in acrylic gloss. Then I started noticing spots that weren't quite perfect! I couldn't live with that. So out came the paint again! I finally finished it yesterday after the rain stopped. And I'm so happy I did! I really love how it turned out! 

My new cupcake liner storage. I got the over sized Mason jar at a Salvation Army for $.50 or so. It didn't have a lid. So this is what I did with it.

And me at 29 weeks!

Back in this post I painted this basket aqua. I thought it was too much of that color after I painted the high chair the same shade. So I decided I would be happier if the basket was yellow! 

2 comments:

  1. love the blue highchair- it came out great! it looks like something you'd see in a shabby chic mag. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking good, jess! and also the highchair & basket as well. : )

    ReplyDelete