Thursday, November 18, 2010

Crock Pot Tortilla Soup

Its starting to get a little chilly here in the Midwest so I've been using my slow cooker quite a bit. Slow cookers always seem to go with colder temps in my mind. It's definitely going to be a Crock Pot winter here at Cheese Grater.

What you need:
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons butter
4 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
29 ounces chicken broth
29 ounces stewed tomatoes
1 cup salsa (I used black bean and corn salsa)
1 teaspoon ground cumin (more for spicy... I think I used about 2 teaspoons)
Shredded cheese (I used shredded queso cheese), sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips for topping.

 Simmer garlic and butter in bottom of slow cooker on low until butter melts. Do not brown garlic! Add chicken broth, tomatoes, salsa, and cumin. Cook on low 8 hours. I added my chicken about 2 hours before soup was finished so it wasn't too dry. And I cooked my chicken in a tiny bit of oil with paprika and ancho chili spice. Yum!

I served the tortilla soup with Mexican grilled cheese. I kind of just invented this while the soup was cooking. Instead of buttering the bread, I used chipotle mayo. Instead of American cheese, I used shredded queso cheese, shredded jalapeno jack cheese and some salsa con queso. Turned our pretty good!
This meal is perfect for a rainy or snowy lazy day. Give it a try!
XO!

1 comment:

  1. That all sounds SO AMAZING! I love spicy food or anything Mexican-like. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete