Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tiramisu Ice Cream = Heaven on Earth

Since summer is slowly coming to an end, I decided to put my ice cream maker to good use. I've only made a few batches all summer.

What you need:
2 cups milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (I couldn't find at the store so I used instant coffee)
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
1/2 cup Marsala
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
1-2 oz melted dark chocolate (Was in a lazy mood so I just used chocolate syrup)

Step 1. Heat the milk in a saucepan to almost a boil. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar til thick and light yellow.


Step 2. Ladle milk slowly into the egg yolks while constantly stirring. I placed mixing bowl on a wet paper towel to keep from sliding around. Continue until all milk is mixed with egg mixture. Return the mixture to a saucepan and heat til mixture is thick and coats the back of the spoon. Continually stir and scrape the bottom with a spatula or spoon.

Step 3. Remove from heat and whisk in the espresso powder and cream. I mixed together in advance to give coffee time to dissolve. Whisk in the custard mixture and chill in the fridge. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.


Step 4. Melt chocolate in the last few minutes of churning, pour a thin stream of chocolate into the ice cream through the hole in the top. If no hole in the top, fold the chocolate in with a spatula after freezing process is done.
Sorry this picture kind of sucks!

XO!

No comments:

Post a Comment