Thursday, July 22, 2010

Neapolitan-Style Stuffed Peppers



I've had this recipe sitting in my recipe box for quite some time. It was passed on to me from my mom and she said it was delicious, but I wanted to try it before I made it. Well Mom had some leftovers a few weeks ago. They were so good leftover that I couldn't imagine how good they would be straight from the oven. Mom said this was a time consuming recipe so I was waiting for a lazy Sunday to give it a try.

Neapolitan-Style Stuffed Peppers
What you need:
2 medium eggplants
6 large red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoon olive oil
3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped or 1 large can diced tomatoes ( I used San Maranzo from an Italian grocery store)
6 anchovy fillets finely chopped (Don't let this freak you out!! It won't hurt you, I swear!)
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
pepper to taste
1/2 plus 1 tablespoon bread crumbs

Step 1) Trim eggplant and cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Layer in a colander and sprinkle with salt to let the bitter juice drain out. Let stand for about a half hour. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel.

Step 2) Preheat oven to 400. Oil baking pan just large enough to hold peppers upright.
Step 3) Cut stems off peppers and remove seeds and white membranes.

Step 4) Heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium heat in a very large skillet. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, onions, anchovies, garlic, parsley, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup bread crumbs and remove from heat.

Step 5) Stuff mix into peppers. Stand in pan and sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs and drizzle with remaining oil. Pour 1 cup water or chicken stock around peppers. Bake 1 hour.

Before cooking.

After cooking. Yum!
Mistakes I made:
Forgot to drizzle peppers with olive oil til halfway through cooking.
I didn't cup the eggplant up small enough.
XO!
            

1 comment:

  1. I want stuffed peppers now! They look yummy AND I know they taste great!!

    ReplyDelete