Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover

All of these books are yard sale find and I spent around $6 for this whole list. $6 is a pretty good price for 18 books!! And the really crazy thing is that only 4 of these books were ones that I would actually purchase from a book store, but I loved loved loved all of these books, but one. I learned my lesson on judging books by their covers.



"Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" by James Patterson. I completely fell in love with this story. Katie Wilkinson is in a newer relationship with a man named Matt and she thinks all is going smoothly when he disappears from her life and leaves behind a diary for her to read. The diary is written by a new mother (Suzanne) to her new baby son (Nicholas). As Suzanne reads she learns that the man who vanished from her life is the husband and father from the diary. That's all I'm going to give away from this story. Its a must read!!!!!

"Reconstructing Natalie" by Laura Jensen Walker. Natalie is a young woman who has just found out that she has breast cancer and decides to undergo a mastectomy as her method of fighting the disease. This story is about her journey after her surgery and finding herself. Good read!

"Mommy Tracked" by Whitney Gaskell. This book was ok, but not great. Its the story of four different mothers and what is going on in their lives. That's all I really have to say about it, because nothing really stayed with me after reading it. Definitely an easy read, but I could take it or leave it.

"Love, Rosie" by Cecelia Ahren. Cecelia is also the author of PS I Love You. This is one of the books that I would have bought regardless of the price. Kind of a long read, but worth it. This book starts when Rosie and Alex are 7 and ends almost 50 years later. The majority of the book is letters that they write back and forth to their friends and family, but mostly between each other. I definitely recommend this one!

"The Note" by Angela Hunt. Peyton MacGruder is a journalist and her column ranks last in reader polls so she is given 3 weeks to change the column or change jobs. Then a plane crash occurs and a reader finds a piece of evidence and passes it on to Peyton. The evidence was a simple note in a plastic bag that says T- I love you. All is forgiven. - Dad. Peyton sets on a journey to find the note's proper owner. She learns some lessons in love and forgiveness and about herself. I really enjoyed this book.

"Taking the Wrap" by Dolores Johnson. This book was just ok. It was the first mystery I have ever read. Definitely predictable. Mandy Dyer encounters a case of mistaken identity that turns out to be much more. That's pretty much all I can say without giving away too much.

"30 Minute Meals" by Better Homes and Gardens. I have yet to try a recipe from this book, but I plan on trying the rosemary chicken dish very soon! I will let you guys know how it turns out!

"Knitting for Dummies" by Cheryl Fall. This is one of the books that I was wanting from the book store. I plan on starting a shabby chic quilt pretty soon for our bedroom!



"The Beach House" by Mary Alice Monroe. I read this book in two days! Sooooo good! It was about a mother (Lovie) and daughter (Cara) getting to know each other again after a lot of years apart. They had a falling out because of Cara's turbulant relationship with her emotionally abusive father. Lovie asks Cara to come for a long overdue visit and Cara complies because she has just lost her job and has nothing, but free time. Lovie and Cara repair their relationship just in time. Lovie admits that she is in the final stages of lung cancer. I don't want to say anything else and give away the story to someone who wants to read it. 5 thumbs up for this one!

"The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever" by Natalie Haughton. I have only made one dish from this book on a rainy day that was just begging for a slow cooker meal. I made fiesta chicken and potatoes. Very simple to make and Chad and I both really enjoyed it. I will get more use out of this book when it gets colder outside.

"Tied to the Tracks" by Rosina Lippi. I enjoyed this story. Angie runs a film company in New Jersey and takes on a documentary project at a college town in Georgia. Coincidentally her ex boyfriend John works at the college and is planing a wedding to the daughter of a local well known family. A must read, but I'm going to warn you that there are tons of different characters in this book and at times its hard to remember who is who.

"Away From You" by Melanie Finn. Ellie was brought up in colonial Africa in the '60s and '70s. She had a bad relationship with her violent father. Her and her mother escape and she doesn't return for 25 years til after her father's death. She uncovers some secrets to help put her past behind her. Not one of my usual reads, but a good one.

"He's Just Not That Into You" by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. I had seen the movie and really liked it. Since I'm in a good relationship, I would not have bought this from the store at full price, but thought it was good to read after paying just a quarter. I didn't read any of the self help part. I just concentrated on the excuses the readers sent in. Some were pretty amusing! Some of those girls were coming up with every excuse imaginable for why a guy acts a certain way.

"Within a Whisper" by Caroline Upcher with James and Nanci LaGarenne deserved the win!!! After chapter one I was captivated. The story opens as Jimmy and Nanci are planning a divorce after 22 years of marriage. The rest of the story tells how Jimmy and Nanci met, fell in love, got pregnant, and then married. It tells stories of their happiness and struggles and how after 22 years together, falling apart and forgetting their love for each other. I am so happy I read this book. I will say that it had a very happy ending!

"The Accidental Virgin" by Valerie Frankel. I didn't like HATED this book. Stacy is the main character and she is pretty much a tramp. She spends the entire book trying to get into different guy's pants just because its been a year since she'd been with anyone. She came off as completely desperate and even considered paying somebody to sleep with her. I love reading books over and over again, but I will never pick this one up ever again.

"The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs. Loved loved loved this book! It was very easy to fall in love with the story of Georgia Walker and her daughter Dakota and the other members of the knitting club. This is a really good story of friendship and love. A definite must read!

"Knit Two" by Kate Jacobs. Just as cute of a story as the first one!

"Scared Cows" by Karen E Olson. I'm reading this one now and am only on chapter 7. So far its a story of a murder at Yale in New Haven. The reporter covering the story is Annie Seymour. She is pretty funny and very tough. Her boyfriend is a police detective covering the case and its entertaining how they are butting heads trying to get information out of each other. So far so good!!!

XO!    
         

2 comments:

  1. I love that you did a review like this, because you know how much I love to read! :) There are a couple books on here I might have to borrow from you sometime...and like 4 books that I could've let you borrow from me because I own them! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, You never seize to amaze me. I really am starting to think you are a Martha Stewart at an early age. I am so proud of you. You are a strong young lady and will give anything a try. Grandpa and I love you so much, can you blame us.
    The book reviews are just amazing. You make me want to read and you know that is not easy.

    ReplyDelete